Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Life is a Journey



In many respects, the Georgetown game was disappointing. Hazell struggled to find his game from outside; Chokosun once again fell through in the clutch. Yeah, the energy was great, and the fight was there, but overall the team let me down. This was the huge road victory they needed to have -- the kind of victory that would get NCAA officials to stop scrutinizing the validity of Michael Glover's AP exam scores, and actually get them to take notice of the Hall's accomplishments To quote Leslie Nielsen, "Hey, look at these!" But alas it was not to be. So yes, I was more than a little disappointed. I had traveled all the way to an actual district, only to sit amongst a bunch a hair-parted politicos, more interested in the primaries than the anomalous sneakers on the feet of the coaches. (It was to support cancer research.)

But life is the journey, my friends. Life is the journey. And this particular journey proved a magical one indeed. I was resting comfortably on the vastly overpriced Acela train, and next thing I knew the train was pulling into Washington. As I gathered my things --and my composure -- I heard something rather unusual. It was the unmistakable raspy voice of Gonzo!! At first, I thought it was only God's voice. But when I turned around, there I was face-to-face with the entire squad!!! Turns out they happened to take the same train as me! What are the odds, Las Vegas?!?!?!?!

First thing I did was profess my love for Gonzo. I told him I was so proud of everything the team had achieved. Then, I asked for his autograph. He said he didn't have a pen on him, but thankfully Assistant Coach Scott “Mr. Roboto” Adubato came to the rescue. Next thing I knew, Gonzo had signed my notepad, wishing me all the best:

Best Wishes, Coach "Gonzo"




What a gentleman, what a class act. His use of the quotations -- simply flawless.

After that, I attempted to start conversation with some of the players, which was met with milder success. True, I'm Facebook friends with most of them -- umm, Mike Davis, what will it take withyou? -- but I'm pretty sure they didn't recognize me at all. After wishing the boys good luck against G-town, I bid them farewell. But then I realized my mistake. I needed photographs, or else Dave would never believe me. Sure, I had the Gonzo autograph, but who would
really believe that Gonzo actually included quotations in his signature?!?!?! Umm...I smell a forgery! So I did the only thing I could do: I ran after the players and followed them outside to the team bus.



Fortunately, the front facade of Union Station is rather picturesque, so it makes sense that someone might be taking photographs there anyway. Because, however, it was the dead of night, my case was somewhat more suspect. Also suspect was the fact that I was aiming the camera right at them. (Also, I think I may have told Paul Gause to smile, which he didn't.) After freaking them out I think, I watched as they boarded the bus, and out of my life.


Looking back, would I have played it differently? Do I have any regrets? No. Considering the circumstances, I'm pleased with how things went. I had the chance to meet my idols in person, and even though the moment didn't last as long as I would have liked, it taught
me one thing: while incredibly overpriced, and unconscionably subject to delays, the Acela is actually God's favorite mode of transportation.




Also, be sure to check out the slide show for additional photos of the Georgetown invasion.

No comments: