Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pep Talk Not Enough; Caps Lock Falls Short


I really thought we had a chance to beat UConn today. Even though unfortunate circumstances prevented me from joining my brothers in the Booster Club, I felt like I was there in spirit, cheering on the team. Also, I figured Dave would be cheering extra loud in my absence.

It was this confidence that led me to initiate a "chat" with star sophomore Jeremy Hazell before the game.

I wanted to tell him my thoughts about beating the box and 1. I wanted to tell him about potential improvements to his defensive game. I wanted to tell him I loved him. But instead all I could muster was this simple injunction: "play tough play smart." Jeremy, perhaps a bit overzealous with the caps lock button, responded with a screaming "YEA." Sadly, he was just as trigger happy on the court as he was on the keyboard, launching a number of ill-advised three pointers in the first. He did, however, play a very strong second half, prompting me to believe that Coach Gonzo must have delivered a rather caps lock speech in the locker room at halftime.

Well, I guess that's why he's the coach.

1 comment: